> > firewall_enable="NO"
>         natd_enable="NO"
>         natd_interface="fxp0"
>         inetd_enable="NO"
>         inetd_program="/usr/sbin/inetd"
>         foo_enable="YES/NO"
>         foo_enable="NO"

Who is a GTK hacker?

Does someone want to write a "registry editor" program?

The point of the program would be to edit the "FreeBSD
Registry", rc.conf, and make it look just like the Windows
Registry in the editor, using "_" as the implied path
component/terminal component (key) seperator.

Then we can all be honest with ourselves that the only
difference between it an the Windows Registry is that
the Windows registry is accessible/modifiable from
kernel mode, and the path component and key names.

You can start with:

My Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\natd

                Name            Data
                -----------     ---------------------------------
                enable          NO
                interface       fxp0

My Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\inetd

                Name            Data
                -----------     ---------------------------------
                enable          NO
                program         /usr/sbin/inetd

etc.

If you want to get ambitious:

o       Make "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" an alias for your node name,
        and include your node name in the list.

o       Call it "localhost", if you are feeling too guilty
        about calling it "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE".

o       Make the tool operate on node names other than
        "localhost", so you can do remote administration
        of configuration files on a cluster of FreeBSD
        boxes

o       Add more subkeys; perhaps it should not be just

                My Computer\localhost\inetd

        but

                My Computer\localhost\rc.conf\inetd

        letting you fold in the other files, like the
        inetd.conf, into "registry handlers", e.g.:

                My Computer\localhost\inetd.conf\telnet

                enable          NO
                sockettype      stream
                protocol        tcp
                wait            NO
                user            root
                program         /usr/libexec/telnetd

        etc..

o       Support sysctls in the HKEY_DYN_DATA and HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG
        sections (for those that can go into loader.rc).

Sure, people would be annoyed to find out that they had been
moving towards an idea that Microsoft had developed, but
wouldn't this be a fun tweak to people's tails?

-- Terry