"Joel M. Baldwin" wrote:
> Shouldn't ALL of the files in /bin, /usr/bin, /usr/include, /usr/lib
> etc be replaced during an installworld?

They are replaced... if they exist boith before and afterward.

They are also created... if they did not exist before, but do
exist afterward.

What's not done is that they are not *removed*... if they
existed before, but were not recreated.

Note that every port or package installed on your system, and
every file in every user directory, also does not exist as a
result of the source tree.  Therefore removing everything that
is not a result of the source tree would be... Bad(tm).

> I've always looked for files older than the last installworld and
> moved them aside thinking that they're obsolete.
>
> ( aside, not delete, just in case )

Yes.  And you will have to continue to do so.

Base system component files are not removed when they are made
obsolete, because they are not registered anywhere, and thus
their obsolete status is not known.

Consider the case of a *new* "compat-4" library for 5.x, which
is required for certain 4.x programs to run, or "Perl", which
is a port/package in 5.x, rather than a base system component.
You cannot just remove bas system components because they no
longer exist, when you have software which depends on them,
unless you re-track the dependencies, and force the install of
the now-optional components.  For Perl, this is not as hard as
for "compat-4", or something similar, which will be dependend
upon by programs which are not identified to the package
managements system, even if you (empasis on _you_) were to do
the work to register the rest of the OS into the package
management system.

-- Terry