Terry Lambert writes:
> > I.e., if a file is not installed by 'make installworld' then by
> > definition it's not required for a correctly functioning system.
>
> This won't work for Perl (which is why I picked it as my example).
>
> In order to do what you are suggesting, you will need to create
> a delta between "previously installed binaries" and "currently
> installed binaries", and remove anything not in the intersection
> set, but in the set of previously installed binaries.  That would
> include perl and older shared library instances, not just header
> files that are stale, etc..  Older shared libraries being removed
> would break things.  Older portmap being removed would break the

You are right in that additional programs or custom modifications
that depend on the obsolete stuff would break if the obsolete stuff
were removed... so you'd have to confirm everything with mergemaster.
Possibly this is too dangerous to be useful.

But it would be nice to get rid of those really stale header files, etc.

-Archie