On Tue, Oct 08, 2002 at 10:34:42AM +0930, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
> On Monday,  7 October 2002 at 17:44:42 -0700, Steve Kargl wrote:
> >>
> >> There are then dozens of ways of finding the old files and removing
> >> them.  I'd be inclined just to remove all files in those directories
> >> which are older than some file in the build tree--*after* a successful
> >> installation.
> >>
> >> Thoughts?
> >>

> > What would you do about "install -C"?
>
> I think it confuses the issue rather than solving it.  We're talking
> about removing binaries which are no longer needed, not replacing
> binaries that are needed.

I understand what the topic is.  I don't understand your comment, "I'd
be inclined just to remove all files in those directories which are older
than some file in the build tree--*after* a successful installation."

"install -C" doesn't change the timestamp, so you'll have tons of
files that are older than "some file in the build tree".  You don't
blindly want to remove files and I doubt you want mergemaster to
list possibly hundreds of files as removal candidates.  So, yes,
"install -C" confuses the issue :-)

--
Steve