At 11:29 AM +0930 10/8/02, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
>On Monday,  7 October 2002 at 21:57:28 -0400, Garance A Drosihn wrote:
>  > How about for each directory, if there are old files found in the
>>  directory then create a ".OLDINSTALL" sub-directory, and move the
>>  files into there (instead of removing them).  And, of course, avoid
>>  descending into those .OLDINSTALL directories...
>
>That would be an option.  But why do you need to put other files in
>these directories in the first place?

What do you care?  I bought the PC, freebsd did not.  Maybe it is
convenient for me to have a file there.  Maybe I did it by mistake.
Maybe it's a core file that landed there and I forgot to move it.
Maybe you'll help me by removing it.  Maybe you'll piss the hell out
of me by destroying some important file that was never created by
freebsd in the first place.  Maybe I did an "install -C" because that
was appropriate for *me*, in *my* situation.  Maybe I installed some
port with "PREFIX=/".  What do you care?  What is GAINED by the
freebsd project deciding that it has the right to go around destroying
files on people's hard disks?

I understand what is gained by moving known-obsolete files out of
the way, but that does not justify going wild with "rm" commands
just because freebsd "wants to own" /usr/bin and friends.

--
Garance Alistair Drosehn            =   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Senior Systems Programmer           or  [EMAIL PROTECTED]