I have a dual PIII Intel L440gx+ (VA Linux) server. I am running CURRENT
cvsupped a few hours ago.

This motherboard provides access to the BIOS via sio1. When booting, the
serial BIOS shows everything that's happening until the point of booting
the kernel (where it seems to switch video modes to have a bright white
character set rather than the dull white/grey characters used
initially).

1) Is there a way to prevent the FreeBSD kernel from ever switching into
this different video mode, thus allowing me to continue to use the
built-in serial terminal? The machine is a headless server, I don't care
if video works as long as I can pull out a serial terminal.

Furthermore, dmesg shows:
--------
sio0: configured irq 4 not in bitmap of probed irqs 0
sio0: port may not be enabled
sio0 port 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4 on acpi0
sio0: type 16550A
sio1: configured irq 3 not in bitmap of probed irqs 0
sio1: port may not be enabled
sio1 port 0x2f8-0x2ff irq 3 on acpi0
sio1: type 16550A
--------
While Google shows several other users seeing same output, I have been
unable to find a post that clearly explained what the cause of this "not
in bitmap" error is. While sio1 is used by the serial BIOS and therefore
reasonably could be expected to cause some error, sio0 should work just
fine.

2) Even if the above errors are harmless, how do I make them go away?

TIA,
--Lucky