Attila wrote:
------------
The reason that you lost the serial console after the kernel started is
that you BIOS from that point is launched to the nearest galaxy's
trashcan via hyperspace, I mean is not functional. You have to set up
the serial console.
------------

A good answer on your average PC. (And perhaps even for this one :)

However, the Intel L440gx+ motherboard I have (it came in a VA Linux
rackmount) seems to have a separate CPU performing all kinds of
monitoring tasks, watchdog, etc, so I was hoping this separate CPU was
actually performing the serial console task. As I read it on page 64 of
the manual (download from Intel), the second serial port is actually
connected through a multiplexer to the Baseboard Management Controller
(Dallas 82CH10) in my configuration.
ftp://download.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/l440gx/254151-003.p
df

On page 36, the EMP 'always active mode' I selected suggests that
console redirection remains active, and the OS can not see the port (or
by extension take control of it). Which would seem to leaves the
graphics mode issue. FreeBSD should be oblivious to the fact that this
re-direction is even going on, but the kernel seems to do /something/
that impacts the built-in serial console.

I guess the idea is to not have to use the FreeBSD software serial
console, but use the hardware serial console out that comes with the
motherboard.

[FYI, there is a FreeBSD project to access the IMPI functions of these
motherboards. <http://people.freebsd.org/~dwhite/ipmi/>, but it seems to
address a slightly different question.

Thanks in advance,
--Lucky Green