Attila Nagy wrote:
> > This is actually no longer accurate.  PHK changed the defaults, and it
> > no longer does correct autodetection from the boot loader config file.
>
> It may be my fault, but I could set up a serial console to a 5.0-RELEASE
> box using this page.
> 5.0 uses hints, I think this is the only change, I noted.
>
> What do you mean under autodetection?

The sense of the -P option was changed, and it makes it so you
have to do extra work to get the console driver to do the right
thing from inside FreeBSD proper, on a machine that could have
its keyboard removed (or not).  It's because the -h is implied,
and it's a toggle.

See also the last two sentences of the documentation for the "-D"
option, as well.  I guess the intent was to force someone to put
in the effort in FreeBSD itself to make the "-D" option work in
the kernel, as well as in the boot loader.

Anyway, it was a particular problem with the SuperMicro motherboards
with the AMI BIOS that's been the subject of the rest of this
discussion (i.e. the ones that kick out the escape sequence at the
end, for no good reason, except to screw up non-monochrome VTxxx
emulators, and make it hard to use a UNIX box as the serial console).

-- Terry