David Schultz wrote:

Strangely, gcc in FreeBSD 5.0 actually generates *slower* code
when compiling for more recent architectures than when compiling
for a 386.  I don't know whether that is a bug in gcc or whether
gcc is using some fancy feature like SSE that the kernel handles
poorly on context switches.  I think there was some discussion on
the lists about it earlier.
The reason is that the optimization done by GCC are ill balanced.
All the scheduling of instractions and what a not - which would be
fine on a micro scope level is causing so much higher pressure
on the CPUs caches that the code is actually loosing.