On 27-Feb-2003 Garance A Drosihn wrote:
> At 1:27 PM +0200 2/27/03, Ruslan Ermilov wrote:
>>: RCS file: /home/ncvs/src/sys/i386/conf/GENERIC,v
>>: Working file: GENERIC
>>: ----------------------------
>>: revision 1.296
>>: date: 2001/01/14 10:11:10;  author: jhb;  state: Exp;  lines: +2 -2
>>:
>>: Remove I386_CPU from GENERIC.  Support for the 386 seriously
>>: pessimizes performance on other x86 processors.  Custom kernels
>>: can still be built that will run on the 386.
>
> While there was good reason for removing i386 from GENERIC, that
> does mean that someone "just wanting to try freebsd" on a i386
> may very well give up before realizing that it does (hopefully!)
> work.
>
> For official release CDs, should we also provide a GENERIC_I386
> kernel, so the person can get up-and-running without having to
> first build a new kernel?  Or will they just run into other
> problems once they get past the kernel, due to everything else
> in the system being compiled for i486 & newer?
>
> I think we (developers) get a little too used to having multiple
> machines around, and assume that everyone who might want to test
> freebsd will have some hardware that works for the GENERIC kernel,
> and which they can use to first do a buildkernel for the hardware
> they really want to test freebsd on.
>
> I'm thinking maybe the 5.x release CD's should include:
>      GENERIC
>      GENERIC +SMP

I plan to make SMP kernels work on a UP machine like they do on all
of our other platforms thus obsoleting the need for this.

>      GENERIC +VMWARE-friendly settings

This might be useful.

>      GENERIC for i386

I doubt the usefulness of this.  i386 kernels were just accidentally
broken for almost a month and a half without anyone noticing.  People
wouldn't have noticed if phk@ hadn't asked for a volunteer either.
I386_CPU kernel compiles have been broken in the past for rather long
periods of time before being noticed as well.

> Would that add too much extra work for a 5.x release?

You have access to the source, go for it. :)  With cdboot, all you
need to do is create a /boot/vmware/ directory with kernel (and
maybe modules) in the ISO image and the user can break into the
loader and type 'boot vmware' to boot it.  src/release/* awaits your
tested patches.

--

John Baldwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  <><  http://www.FreeBSD.org/~jhb/
Power Users Use the Power to Serve!"  -  http://www.FreeBSD.org/