On Thu, Sep 02, 1999 at 11:42:58AM +0200, Sheldon Hearn wrote:
> The numeric ID is not important. Neither is the name. So long as there's
> something that people maintaining ports can use. I've followed Solaris'
> lead on the choice of name, ``smtp''.

The numeric id IS important.
How do you think NFS maintains privileges across machines?

This also has nothing to do with emotions ... it's my experience from
the time I worked at the computing staff at the univ, where we had to
maintain a few thousand users on a few hundred machines of all types.
In some perspectives ($HOMEs, mail, standard programs, shared document
space) the machines had to look and feel alike for the users.

We noticed that the predefined uids/gids on the systems were nearly
useless for that tasks (as they were all different)

If in such an environemt the uid 25 is already used for some other
service it's a pain to integrate new FreeBSD machines from the
moment FreeBSD comes shipped with uid 25 allocated to a user smtp.

        \Maex