On Fri, 8 Apr 2011, Warner Losh wrote:

Non-contiguous netmasks are *not* legal anymore in IPv4.

Just reference the RFC and everyone will agree... *oops* ;-)

On the general thread:

I'd seriously stop bothering with any decisions that will change the way
IPv4 works or has worked or the output tools gave people for 20 or more
years unless there is a really good reason.  Do not break things just
because you don't like it.  It's hardcoded into too many brains^Wscripts.

just my 0.01cts.

PS: I am all for making things more restrictive no longer thinking
inet is the default but even that's hard...

         Stop bit received. Insert coin for new address family.