On Fri, Apr 08, 2011 at 10:33:17PM -0700, Garrett Cooper wrote:
>On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 9:54 PM, J. Hellenthal <jh...@dataix.net> wrote:

>>>Long live IPv4! :)

>>>The article is great, but dot-decimal notation is de-facto standard
>>>for stand-alone network mask representation. Like CIDR is standard for
>>>IP blocks represenation. That's the reason I've started this thread.
>>>And despite the greatness of the article you've mentioned, I think
>>>it's a bad itea to hardcode its URL into ifconfig's output. You know,
>>>for every single user reading it, and choosing the "way of hex" ;)
>>>

>> This is the year 2011 right ? when are we going to support new users
>> rather than supporting old outdated washed up "scripts" ?
>>
>> I for one am for this change, given that there are lots of users from
>> the PC-BSD community that do not read hexadecimal, octal and other such
>> forms like a programmer does.
>>
>> And just because the change can be made does not mean that a
>> compatibility shim cannot be put into place that restores the old
>> functionality.
>>

>> It is time to stop living in the past and start thinking about the
>> future. These types of things are what causes forks of projects to
>> happen ultimately yielding in less contributors and developers. I for
>> one hate to see things like that happen.
>
>I understand your pain and while I've been on your side of the fence
>several times in the past dealing with different things of this sort,
>having to maintain backwards compatibility is a painful reality of
>past design choices or mistakes. pkg_install and sysinstall are one of
>many examples, but there are of course other areas as well.
>
>Although I see the value of your and Sergey's argument, the problem is
>that it may cause unexpected breakage for other third parties that
>depend on a particular behavior in FreeBSD as Bjoern and others have
>suggested; I have a script at least that does properly parse out the
>hex output in order to set IPs properly with ipmitool, and I would be
>perturbed to have to hack around this further in my script. Mind you,
>this script is in my workspace, but having to track minor output
>changes like this across versions of FreeBSD, or interface changes
>like the semi-gratuitous removal of /dev/<device>c in 8.x still had to
>be worked out on many branches my group maintains at $WORK.
>
>Getting back on track, I think that more 'user friendly' variants of
>FreeBSD, e.g. PCBSD, etc, could and should diverge with this one line
>patch as they're not mainline FreeBSD and the change is trivial for
>less hex inclined users as you suggest.
>
>Granted, this is just one of many bikeshed topics. Funny how many
>lines of debate have been written and how many feathers have been
>unnecessarily ruffled over the output of one printf.

Yeah I can agree with that. In either case right now (to me) it makes
utterly no difference and is just a cosmetic fix as I can read hex, oct,
dec in either fashion and convert between them quickly. I just hate to
see other non-technical users fall subject to the same things that have
been support way past a deprecation period that should have ended 10+
years ago.

Anyway there are so many views on this, in any case the right decision
is made going forth and positives and negatives can be discussed then.

--

 J. Hellenthal