In article
<local.mail.freebsd-hackers/[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
you write:
>       She need's specific information that we need that we cant get
>unless we sign NDA's for the doc's so she can try and get them merged into
>a reference product somewhere between the datasheet (worthless) and the
>programming manual (NDA).

Well, I applaud your effort, but I can't really think of how this
would work.  The information in the programming manual is required
to program the chip.  It is already a fairly concise manual, and if
you axe anything out of it, it would mean that feature wouldn't be
supported.

A programming manual generally looks something like the following
(completely made up) example:

   control register:    offset 0, length 2 words
      bit 31:    MWI enable
      bit 29-30: duplex settings
                  00 = full duplex
                  01 = half duplex
                  1x = auto negotiate
        In order for duplex settings to take effect, the chip must
        first be be reset to idle state, then the link settings changed

      bit 28:    receiver enable
                  0 = disable
                  1 = enable
        before enabling the receiver, the receive control register
        must be set up appropriately, as well as the receive ring
        base and length registers.

Exactly what in the above (fictional) example is it possible to axe
out and still come up with a functional driver?  Descriptions of each
bit and their position in the register?  The rules/caveats associated
with each bit?

I hate to say it, but anything that gets axed out of the manual basically
means that those features of the chip will not be used.  I honestly don't
think that the marketer you talked to really understands this; I can't
for the life of me see how anything less than the programming manual
will be sufficient.
--
Jonathan