> can you tell me what problem you've encountered and what to do about it if i
> do encounter the same?
> --charlie pelletier

XFree86 4.2.1 (as packaged on the FreeBSD 4.6 and 4.7 CDROM) is failing on
signal 11 during sysinstall, as well as via startx and directly executed.
The log file shows it dies in routine int10 (AFAIK). I have no solution.

The .core file I get after the failure appears to be useless. gdb doesn't
know what to make of it; it loads the core file but can't access any
memory-- not via the instruction pointer nor anything pointed to by the gp
registers. When I try running the X server under gdb, the machine locks up.
I have to hard reset. All of this is on a machine that has run every release
of FreeBSD and X since FreeBSD 2.2.7. The problem was introduced in FreeBSD
4.6 which includes XFree86 4.2 by default. XFree86 3.3.6 and earlier didn't
have the problem.

If I don't get some help soon, I don't know what I'll do. Perhaps try and
make the X server with debug symbols and run again. That's a chore I'm not
looking forward to, but since I can't seem to get much response from the
"experts" I guess I have little choice. I have some experience with writing
X apps, but none at all with the server itself, so I know I'm in for a major
learning experience.

Whatever I eventually learn, I'll post here. Of course, I'm still hoping for
expert help.

Paul A. Scott
mailto:pscott@;skycoast.us
http://skycoast.us/pscott/