On Mar 29, 2005, at 9:28 AM, Anthony Atkielski wrote:

Chris writes:

I disagree - If FBSD does not (or did not) know of the HP/Compaq tweakes
in the microcode, how can you claim it's broken?

Because it works with Windows NT.

If a machine with a gig of memory runs fine under DOS but actually has a bad big of memory hardware near the 512 meg address range, it would probably still run "flawlessly" for a very very long time...

If MS does not support or have a driver for so-and-so app or hardware,
does it also mean Windows is broken?

No, but if the base code in the OS fails to handle the hardware properly, Windows is broken.

But if you swap the hardware with a replacement and it works, how do you explain Windows being broken when that would suggest it was the hardware that was broken?

 As for drivers, it depends on the
hardware.  Nobody has demonstrated to me that the hardware on this
machine is so exotic that it cannot be supported with standard drivers
thus far.

You never put it on another identical Vectra to prove it was reproducible.

 And the copy of Windows I ran came right off the shelf; it
was not a "tweaked" version from HP (such a version came preinstalled,
but the first thing I did with the hardware was wipe the hard disk).

The problem being asserted is that the hardware was tweaked. The firmware microcode.

According to you, it is. According to the vast majority, it's not
broken, it's merely unsupported.

Same thing.

Really? Windows XP must be broken. I can't install it on my Mac.

You could say the same about your hardware based on what you just said,
if FBSD does not have the teaks to the driver version you need, then (as
you think) your hardware is broken.

Yes ... except that it worked with Windows NT.

Fine. FreeBSD is broken. Reinstall Windows and stop complaining.

Read above to if MS don't support or have a driver for x, y, and z -
then as you say, Windows is broken.

Yes. But offhand I don't recall anything for which I was unable to obtain a Windows driver.

Because Windows is far superior in every way shape and form. You should reinstall it and leave this list.

PS-if you can still get a driver for the timex Ironman triathlon watch, care to share the link? I can't seem to find it anymore for the Windows 2000 system to work without some IR interface...I wanted to use the screen to update it still...or is Windows broken because I can't use it anymore?