Bart Silverstrim writes:

> If a machine with a gig of memory runs fine under DOS but actually has
> a bad big of memory hardware near the 512 meg address range, it would
> probably still run "flawlessly" for a very very long time...

This machine has 384 MB of very expensive RAM, and all of it was used by
Windows NT.

> But if you swap the hardware with a replacement and it works, how do
> you explain Windows being broken when that would suggest it was the
> hardware that was broken?

I don't recall ever swapping anything.  I have no reason to believe that
a hardware failure has occurred.

> You never put it on another identical Vectra to prove it was
> reproducible.

Why does it have to be reproducible on another machine?  It doesn't work
on my machine, and that's sufficient.  If you can tell me what all the
error messages mean, then please do so.  If you can't, you're just
throwing darts.

> The problem being asserted is that the hardware was tweaked.  The
> firmware microcode.

No assertion is worthy of my time unless it is preceded by an
explanation of the exact meaning of all the error messages I'm seeing.

> Really?  Windows XP must be broken.  I can't install it on my Mac.

Swap out the hardware and see if it goes away.  See if you can reproduce
the problem on another Mac.  It's possible that Windows uses the
hardware much more efficiently than the Mac OS X, and it doesn't run on
your machine simply because you have a hardware failure that OS X
couldn't detect.

> Fine.  FreeBSD is broken.  Reinstall Windows and stop complaining.

I'd rather fix FreeBSD.

> PS-if you can still get a driver for the timex Ironman triathlon watch,
> care to share the link?  I can't seem to find it anymore for the
> Windows 2000 system to work without some IR interface...I wanted to use
> the screen to update it still...or is Windows broken because I can't
> use it anymore?

Did it ever work on Windows NT-based systems?  All I recall is that it
looked like a custom-written trigger for photosensitive epilepsy.

--
Anthony