Sam Leffler wrote:

Brooks fixed a bunch of bugs in dhclient and I just committed an important fix to wpa_supplicant to work right when wireless cards are ejected (previously it would loop).

I also tested that dhclient does the right thing for roaming between ap's--switching causes dhclient to immediately collect a new lease.

I just ran tests with wpa_supplicant and found that it does appear to handle open ap's properly.

Everything except the wpa_supplicant changes have been MFC'd to RELENG_6 for the 6.0RC2 build that's going to happen soon (I'm hoping to get re to approve the wpa_supplicant changes).

FWIW I just MFC'd the wpa_supplicant fix.

So the question is what are the outstanding issues with dhclient and wpa_supplicant? I'm mostly concerned with wireless devices but feel free to talk about wired interfaces too. If something doesn't work right please try to give steps to reproduce the problem. Otherwise please provide detailed info include ifconfig output. Remember that dhclient logs info to /var/log/messages and you should also see link state change msgs there too.

s/6.0RC2/6.0BETA2/.

    Sam

Hello,

I am very interested in getting wpa_supplicant & dhclient to work. Presently it does not work for me the way I would hope it would.

I would think that if it were setup properly on my machine I could turn the machine on at home, and have it associate with my AP and then acquire a lease. Then I could shut it down... go to the office... turn it on and then have it associate with the AP there and acquire a lease.

However it does not seem to do this. It seems to only want to associate with the last AP it ever associated with. I then have to down the interface and manually ifconfig it.

I am fairly sure I do not have things setup properly, since others have had much better results. Can you please point me to the most current docs or a "How To" to push me in the right direction.

I have RELENG_6 as of last night. I have appended some conf files to the bottom for your review.

Thanks,

rc.conf contains
===========================
network_interfaces="lo0 bfe0 ath0"
ifconfig_ath0="WPA DHCP"
ifconfig_bfe0="DHCP"

dhclient.conf contains
===========================
interface "ath0" {
  #send option host-name "myhost";
  #send option domain-name "nxdomain.org";
  send dhcp-client-identifier "myhost";

  media
"ssid <home_ssid> mode 11b channel 11 wepmode on weptxkey 1 wepkey 0x<home_wepkey>",
  ### Office
"ssid <office_ssid mode 11b channel 6 wepmode on weptxkey 1 wepkey 0x<office_wepkey>";

request subnet-mask, broadcast-address, routers, domain-name-servers, domain-name;
}

wpa_supplicant.conf
=============================
ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant