On Saturday 24 December 2005 06:54, Daniel A. wrote:
> Hi Andy,
>
> I am sorry for the trouble you have had with Windows XP.
>
> I suggest that you use Linux, as FreeBSD really is not targeted at
> people who want to use graphical user interfaces.

In a few key areas FreeBSD is a better desktop OS than Linux:  Easier to keep
the kernel/world and installed ports up to date for example without having
to resort to the microsoft/Linux fixall method of removing and reinstalling
everything every now and again.  Your opinion is correct IMO that FreeBSD
managers put most emphasis on FreeBSD as a server and little as a desktop.
My guess is because donations(cash) and hardware support for developers
come from people who want servers while people who want a desktop OS tend to
donate squat....

> The linux developers really have been trying to make a valuable
> replacement for Windows, as they somehow have experienced the same
> issues with Windows (And Microsoft products in general) that you have.
>
> One Linux distribution in particular that I think you might like, is
> Ubuntu. You can download it at http://www.ubuntulinux.org/, or order a
> CD (Free shipping, free CD, you pay nothing).

Advertising Linux in a FreeBSD mailing list?  Sounds like you may have more of
axe to grind against the FreeBSD management folk than a desire to offer sound
advice....

-Mike