Philip Hallstrom wrote:
I have two disks; one is the fbsd system drive, the other is for backup
purposes.

I'm in doubt about what to use: dump or rsync

I guess I can do something like:
mount /dev/ad1s3a /backup/root
mount /dev/ad1s3d /backup/var
mount /dev/ad1s3f /backup/usr
/usr/local/bin/rsync -avHxS --delete /usr /backup/usr
for /usr / and var

If you do go with rsync, watch the "-delete". If for some reason you blow away /usr/local/etc and then run your backup you'll blow away your backed up /usr/local/etc as well. Probably not what you want :)

With the right settings of --backup --backup-dir you can easily create a week (or two or three or whatever) archive of the "daily" changed files. So, for example..

/backup/usr - contains identical copy
/backup/dailys/usr/Mon - contains files that changed on /usr on Monday.

Then just set things up to rotate/expire the old copies and you have an easy way to get files back you deleted that you didn't mean to.

I can post the whole script if you're interested...
If you'd like to go down that route (of incremental backups), then consider rdiff-backup, which makes a 'live backup' in the same way that rsync does but also saves the rsync 'transaction log' so you can produce a previous day's image easily, and store the differences compactly - the saving on the network in rsync becomes the saving in disk space for the incremental backups.

http://www.nongnu.org/rdiff-backup/
http://www.howtoforge.com/linux_rdiff_backup

I've been using this for a few dozen machines with no problems so far.

Cheers,

Howie