Hello!

I would like to install a new FreeBSD 6.1 system on a computer that has two SATA drives. They are the same type. I would like to use gmirror. I read the handbook here:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/geom-mirror.html

But there is something I do not understand. The handbook suggest that I install FreeBSD on only two partitions: a swap and the root fs. But I would like to create many partitions. I think I can do it the following way:

  1. Install a basic system on drive /dev/ad0, using two smaller
     partitions (2GB for swap and 10GB for the root fs).
  2. Create the /dev/mirror/gm device on /dev/ad1, as suggested by the
     handbook
  3. When doing 'bsdlabel -wB /dev/mirror/gm0s1', I can allocate gm0s1a
     and gm0s1b with the same sizes (10GB and 2GB) but I can also add
     other partitions for /usr, /tmp and /var. Can I?
  4. Then I can copy the whole system from ad0s1a to
     /dev/mirror/gm0s1a, and continue the installation, following the
     instructions in the handbook
  5. Finally, after I added /dev/ad0 to /dev/gm0 and I'm done with
     synchronization, I would like to format the additional partitions,
     dump and restore my current /usr, /tmp and /var directories,
     change my fstab and reboot...

Will this work? Sorry for the dumb question, but I have never done this before. The handbook only suggest that I install FreeBSD on one / partition only, but it does not tell how to create new partitions after mirroring.

Thanks,

  Laszlo