On Jul 28, 2006, at 4:55 PM, Gobbledegeek wrote:
I've wanted to try  this for a  long time,  but  I believed  its  not
possible,  but  never  asked  anyone so....

Is  it possible to have multiple freebsd slices (partitions)  on a
single disk?

Sure. You'd be mounting filesystems from /dev/ad0s2 rather than ad0s1, for example, depending on your hard drive position in the ATA chain and which FDISK partitions you've used.

For  example, I  already got a  fbsd slice  with
partitions in it,  now  I  want to  add  another and  use that  space,
after deleting  a windoze partition.

Should be no problem.

What about using an extended logical partition as a freebsd slice?

IMHO, logical partitions are pure evil which was invented to work around the 4-partition FDISK limit, and are nearly useless to anything which creates its own slices or subpartitions within an FDISK partition the way BSD or Linux can.

YMMV, but I would convert the extended partition into a normal one and use it directly within FreeBSD, as I do not believe you can boot from extended partitions...

--
-Chuck