On 8/27/06, hackmiester (Hunter Fuller) <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Everyone will laugh at this, but I have an old box with a 25mHz
processor or so. It has 8mB of memory. I want to install some type of
UNIX clone on it, as a proof of concept. I don't care if it's linux,
freebsd, or something else, but I need something that will run with
enough speed to run an sshd and not much else. It will just be to
prove that old hardware can still be used. Any suggestions?

That box doesn't have enough memory to run a current version of
FreeBSD or Linux. Also what CPU does it use? FreeBSD 6.x, and I'm sure
Linux 2.6, removed 386 support. You need a 486 or better to run the
current version of FreeBSD. Does this box have a math coprocessor?

The "recommended" minimum requirements to run FreeBSD 6.1 is a Pentium
MMX, or equivalent, with 32MB of system ram. You can get by with less
but you won't like the results if you plan to use it as a workstation.
Use FreeBSD 4.11-STABLE or 5.5-STABLE for anything less then that.

I did some tests on disk space and memory requirements back in January
with FreeBSD 6.0-RELEASE. Nobody seemed to notice the first time so
I'll post it again:

Test Rig:
VMware 5 (Win2K/NTFS), VM Settings:
32MB RAM
64MB RAM For KDE-Lite Install (failed with 32MB)
128MB RAM For GNOME-Lite Install (failed with 64MB)
4GB Hard Drive (Default settings)
CD-ROM (Pointing to FreeBSD 6.0-RELEASE i386 ISO Images)
No USB, No Audio, No LAN

FreeBSD Disk Layout:
ad0s1a  4095MB  /       ufs2
ad0s1b  null    swap    null
ad0s1d  null    /var    null
ad0s1e  null    /tmp    null
ad0s1f  null    /usr    null

Everything (/tmp, /var, and /usr) is setup on the root partition, no
swap partition was setup.

Results:
* 1st column of numbers are from the VM disk image file.
* 2nd column is from inside FreeBSD with "du -m".
* All numbers reported in megabytes.

Distribution Sets:
Developer               918     741
X-Developer             1080    882