On Wed, 6 Sep 2006, Michael Hughes wrote:

On Wed, 6 Sep 06 17:37:36 PDT
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Perry Hutchison) wrote:

Having gotten a sufficiently-recent version of glib, I am now
several hours into the build of OpenOffice, and I've discovered
that Firefox has quit working.  When I try to start it:

GThread-ERROR **: file gthread-posix.c: line 187 (): error 'Invalid
argument' during 'pthread_mutex_trylock' aborting...
Abort trap (core dumped)

Of course, since it won't start up, I can't consult Help/About
to find out the version :(  but based on /var/db/pkg I think it is
firefox-1.5.0.1_1,1

I suppose Firefox and OpenOffice are tripping over each other WRT
the version of some shared library, but I thought the whole point
of having version numbers on shared libs was to prevent that sort
of problem.

Does anyone have Firefox and OpenOffice coexisting on a single
system?  How is it accomplished?
"[EMAIL PROTECTED]"

Perry,
 It isn't easy is it.  I am not sure why FireFox quit working like
that.  When I created the new glib for my box I was still running
mozilla 5.0 and didn't have any trouble with it.  I wonder if it has
something to do with gtk+.  I am running FireFox 1.5.0.6 that I
downloaded the tarball and compiled.

 Let me know if you figure this out.

--
Michael Hughes                      Log Home living is the best
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Temperatures:
Outside: 65.4 House: 72.1 Computer room: 71.1

I am also running FireFox and OpenOffice. I tend to install packages for workstations. With OpenOffice the version on FreeBSD works okay, you just have to manually install the prereqs. The other thing I do is start fresh with a new version. I.e., I do not cvsup 4.x --> 5.0.

Maybe if you did pkg_info -rRx for both packages something in common (conflict) would suggest itself.