You can make your FreeBSD servers your DNS servers and configure them to look upsteam to your ISP's DNS servers for servers not known.

I prefer to buy and use printers with built-in networking that support PCL and Postscript. So clients can just send jobs to those printers directly.

        -Derek

Hi Guys,

I'm looking for advice or suggestions on how to [re]design a small business network with FreeBSD. I know that's a pretty broad topic -- I'm not looking for a simple answer, so much as reference materials.

Background: for over 5 years we've had our business running with a few FreeBSD servers. An external Internet connected box serves smtp, imap, http, ftp, dns (external and LAN internal) and http-proxy. Another server (on LAN behind NAT router) has Samba file & print services, lpd and some other things.

I guess what I'm looking for is "best practice" suggestions for configuring all this optimally. Problems we have currently include DNS -- if the Internet connection goes down, the server chokes, and we can't even get internal DNS. And security issues, eg: should the email accounts reside on an Internet-exposed server?

O'Reilly sells "Windows to Linux Migration Toolkit" which sounds like some of what I'm looking for, except that it's for Linux -- but I've dabbled with that kludge enough to probably apply the concepts to FreeBSD ;) Any other suggestions on good books, web sites, etc?

  -Wayne B.

believed to be clean.

believed to be clean.