At 05:59 PM 12/11/2006, Gerard Seibert wrote:
Besides, how hard is it to subscribe to a list, post your question and hopefully receive a satisfactory response and then terminate your association with the list if you are so inclined.

Wasn't going to say anything, but...

I agree totally that you should have to be subscribed to post. This isn't "AOL 101" -- some pittance of technical competence is a prereq'. "Try Googling before posting" is a repeated several times daily; why not make 'em subscribe first? Might cut down on some of that, as well as the spam & scam emails. I can't recall any other mailing lists I've been on in the last 10 years that allow non-subscribed posts.

And from a more personal view, the "no subscription required" has bitten me at least once -- I always use alias addresses for publicly archived lists, since they will inevitably be scrapped up by the spammers and abused. I forgot to select the correct "From" on a post a few weeks ago; now a "real" address is chiseled in granite on the web archive, and I'll probably have to abandon it soon. Would have much rather had it bounced back at me.

  -Wayne