On Thu, 14 Dec 2006 17:40:57 -0800
 Jay Chandler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Bill Moran wrote:
We get all our units with Dell's remote access card installed. It gives us the same kind of remote admin -- equivalent to being able to
hit the power button from the other side of the planet.
Some of our servers have it, some of them don't-- I've been here four months, and wasn't involved in prior purchases. If I had my druthers, we'd be on HP servers instead (I'd also probably be able to get a good price on Ebay for "druthers," but I digress), or IBM, or one of several other more expensive options, but for now I'm playing the hand I was dealt, serverwise. On the plus side, they're all starting out with a comfortable 4 gigs of RAM.

What advantages/disadvantages do you see with running the 64 bit architecture? I must confess, it never occured to me to try that... I'm running the Dual Core Xeon processors, if that helps anything.

In our case, we're primarily concerned about RAM. These units are starting out with 4G, and we're monitoring them so we can add RAM when the usage goes up. amd64 is obviously going to be better supported going forward
than PAE.
Right, PAE is sort of a blast from the past, and I'd much sooner go to a new server than screw around with the 4gb limit personally. Is there any more work to maintaining an amd64 install than "grab a different ISO when it's time to install the box?"

Also, will it work on the Xeon dual core? I've always been comfortably removed from the hardware level, and my new responsibilities aren't quite familiar to me yet...

We just recently purchased a PowerEdge 6850 configured with 4x3.0ghz dual core zeon processors. The AMD64 ISO install was used. Once the basic install was complete, I recompiled the
kernel with SMP. They are all showing up and operational.