Andrea Venturoli wrote:
Juergen Heberling wrote:
Hi all

Please suggest some way of diagnosing this problem:

System freezes after being up in production and apparently stable for several weeks, no dump, no error message, nothing on the console - so I suspect hardware.
Here is my dmesg, long lines were wrapped:
FreeBSD/SMP: Multiprocessor System Detected: 4 CPUs
 cpu0 (BSP): APIC ID:  0
 cpu1 (AP): APIC ID:  1
 cpu2 (AP): APIC ID:  6
 cpu3 (AP): APIC ID:  7
ahd0: <Adaptec AIC7902 Ultra320 SCSI adapter> port 0x2400-0x24ff,0x2000-0x20ff
        mem 0xdd200000-0xdd201fff irq 32 at device 2.0 on pci3
ahd0: [GIANT-LOCKED]
aic7902: Ultra320 Wide Channel A, SCSI Id=7, PCI-X 67-100Mhz, 512 SCBs
ahd1: <Adaptec AIC7902 Ultra320 SCSI adapter> port 0x2c00-0x2cff,0x2800-0x28ff
        mem 0xdd202000-0xdd203fff irq 33 at device 2.1 on pci3
ahd1: [GIANT-LOCKED]
aic7902: Ultra320 Wide Channel B, SCSI Id=7, PCI-X 67-100Mhz, 512 SCBs

I've had freezes as you describe on two different servers with ahd and SMP. The solution was to turn SMP off, unfortunately :(

 bye
    av.

Are these Xeon's? If so you might want to try disabling Hyper-threading in the bios. I have noticed some strange behavior on 6.2-RC1 with a IBM x336 server here. It never crashed but the throughput "felt" off, so I disabled Hyper-threading and things seemed to perform the way I expected it to should.

I would have more details when I actually have time to work on the server itself, however in the meantime give it a shot. If you have 2 CPU's you shouldn't see the CPU2/CPU3 listed just the 2 aftewards.

FYI - I have used that particular controller successfully on several servers recently so I don't think that should be a overall issue for you.

Cheers,

Jeff