Jeff Royle wrote:

I've had freezes as you describe on two different servers with ahd and SMP. The solution was to turn SMP off, unfortunately :(

Are these Xeon's? If so you might want to try disabling Hyper-threading

No. In my case one is an Athlon64 and the other an Opteron.

FYI - I have used that particular controller successfully on several servers recently so I don't think that should be a overall issue for you.

In my case the controller is slightly different (29320), but I think the driver is the problem. It used to work flawlessly as long as I run 5.x, but started freezing as soon as I upgraded to 6.1.
Notice, however, that I don't have data to support my thesis yet.

 bye
        av.