Derek Ragona wrote
You need to make sure sendmail is starting and running. Check your rc.conf and any variables that might need to be set.
Thanks!

In my rc.conf:

sendmail_enable="NO"

However, as I wrote, I was using postfix. I'm not a big guru but I believe that postfix has its own daemon and it has a sendmail binary that is compatible with the system default sendmail.

Anyway, your comment helped me a lot! I upgraded to 6.2 some weeks ago and probably I did not reactivate postfix in /etc/mail/mailer.conf. Additionally, probably I forgot to merge the old mailer.conf with the new one. I changed my rc.conf to this:

sendmail_enable="NO"
postfix_enable="YES"

Then I started postfix:

messias# /usr/local/etc/rc.d/postfix start
postfix/postfix-script: starting the Postfix mail system
messias# ps ax | grep postf
68249  ??  Ss     0:00.01 /usr/local/libexec/postfix/master

Yet I still do not get my emails:

messias# mail gandalf
Subject: Test3
.
EOT
Null message body; hope that's ok
messias# mail
Mail version 8.1 6/6/93.  Type ? for help.
"/var/mail/gandalf": 1 message
> 1 [EMAIL PROTECTED] Fri Nov 10 12:27 13/664 "DON'T DELETE THIS MESSAGE -- FOLDER INTERNAL DATA"
& q
messias# sendmail gandalf
Test4.
.
messias# mail
Mail version 8.1 6/6/93.  Type ? for help.
"/var/mail/gandalf": 1 message
> 1 [EMAIL PROTECTED] Fri Nov 10 12:27 13/664 "DON'T DELETE THIS MESSAGE -- FOLDER INTERNAL DATA"
& q

Pawing in the dark...

  Laszlo