* Alex [01/21/2003 21:01]:
> > How to safly and completely  remove Perl / UUCP and maybe others which
> > have been removed from the source tree. UPDATING doesnt mention anything
> > about it.

I'm no expert... but I just successfully upgraded from 4.7 to 5.0 today.
It didn't seem too hard to just look in /sbin /usr/sbin /bin /usr/bin to
find things that weren't dated with today's date and delete them. The
only stuff that wouldn't have been dated today after a build/install
world would have been old leftovers from 4.7.

Perhaps that was a bit foolhardy, but so far all is well.

> > Furthermore there is need for doing installworld on some boxes far away
> > in multi user mode. any chance this works?

I did learn one important thing... when the UPDATING doc says to install
the new kernel, then RE-boot into single user mode to install world, it
means it. Just dropping to single user mode without a reboot was not
enough. The installworld refuses to work unless you're actually booted
on the new kernel. And I would highly doubt, that after installing the
new kernel but having the old world that you could boot into anything
BUT single user mode.

--

-=Elden=-
http://www.moondog.org