On 24/05/07, kalin mintchev <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> > i have a box in a remote hosting facility that claims that the machine
>> has
>> > two discs raided in it but df and fstab show only one disc with a
>> bunch of
>> > slices.
>> > under devices there is another name - ad6 - but it's not mounted
>> anywhere.
>> > the one i see both in df and the fstab is ad4 with one big slice and
>> > different partitions....
>> >
>> > they insist there are 2 raided discs in tha machine. the os is 5.4 and
>> > think at that point the raid drivers were still considered
>> 'experimental'.
>> >
>> > it makes sense to me that if i don't see a second drive in the fstab
>> there
>> > isn;t any mounting which means that there is no raid going on...
>> >
>> > is there any other way i can make sure if raid is actually on?
>> > would there will be any logs somewhere?
>> > the machine has been up for about 2 years and the dmesg is long
>> gone...
>> >
>> > thanks.....

. . .
> A proper RAID will show up as a single device,
> just like any hard drive (but different).

what do you mean by 'but different'? the actual df output lists this:

# df -h
Filesystem     Size    Used   Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/ad4s1a    290M     81M    186M    30%    /
devfs          1.0K    1.0K      0B   100%    /dev
/dev/ad4s1d    989M     50K    910M     0%    /tmp
/dev/ad4s1f     15G    5.0G    8.4G    37%    /usr
/dev/ad4s1e    989M     33M    877M     4%    /var
/dev/ad4s1g    126G     90G     25G    78%    /work

i read it as one disk - ad4 - with one big slice 1 and 5 partitions.
am i wrong? fstab shows same devices.

> It does seem odd to me that a (supposed) RAID
> would show up as /dev/ad4.

please elaborate. do you mean that the raided disks will have another
id/name rather than 'ad'?

Not knowing what hardware you have, I would still hazard
that a RAID device will not show up as /dev/adN.
I would guess that the RAID controllers that use cam
might have their devices called by the /dev/daN convention,
but I don't know that.

ok. i guess i'd explore the 'interesting phone calls' one.
if it doesn;t walk like a duck and it doesn;t quack like a duck it must be
some other bird/thing...

I would agree with that.