On Fri, 29 Jun 2007 01:07:05 +0200 (CEST)
"zigniew szalbot" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Basically, will squid not be an
> overkill for a family network consisting of 3-4 machines? The box I want
> to devote for gateway/pc purposes is a Compaq PIII 866 Mhz with 512 MB RAM
> and 40GB HD.

Hi Zigniew,
Back in '96 I used to run squid on a (linux Slackware) 486 DX 100Mhz, 64 MB RAM
for 20 to 30 computers, with a dialup line. I can't imagine why it wouldn't
work or be overkill for your setup :) I actually have the same setup in mind
(down to the compaq + Dlink in bridged mode :-D )

good luck

{Beto|Norberto|Numard} Meijome

"You can discover what your enemy fears most by observing the means he uses to
frighten you." Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Warned.