On Monday 20 August 2007 17:21, Lisandro Grullon wrote:
> Hi All,
> I am a newcomer to the FreeBSD world. I am trying to implement a openLDAP
> installation. It all went ok with the SASL and SERVER install in
> conjunction with BDB, yet when I try starting the service using
> "/usr/local/libexec/slapd"  or  "/usr/local/etc/rc.d/slapd start", the
> service does not start.

This may be a very silly question, but have you enabled slapd in /etc/rc.conf?

The startup scripts in /etc/rc.d and /usr/local/etc/rc.d won't run unless the
associated control variable is set to "YES" in /etc/rc.conf. To find the
right variable and its current setting,

/usr/local/etc/rc.d/slapd rcvar

which in this case tells us the control variable is $slapd_enable,
so /etc/rc.conf needs to contain

slapd_enable="YES"

As a bonus, if this isn't set but you want to do a one-off start or stop (for
example during testing), you can use onestart and onestop:

/usr/local/etc/rc.d/slapd onestart

which ignores the control variable.

Jonathan