On 9/7/07, Mel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> [...]
> > >  Linux compatibility enabled. After loading modules 'linux' and
> > >  'nvidia', I do:
> > >
> > >  # X -configure
> > >  # X -config /root/xorg.conf.new
> > >
> > >  At this point the system spontaneously reboots. 'X -configure' runs
> > >  fine and produces a configuration without issue, but the reboot
> > >  occcurs when launching X. Nothing is output to screen (it flickers as
> > >  if starting X), and nothing is written to /var/log/Xorg.0.log. I do
> > >  get the same behavior if running 'xorgcfg'.
> > >
> > >  Card info:
> > >
> > >  "NV41 [Quadro FX 3450/4000 SDI] rev 162"
> > >
> > >  [EMAIL PROTECTED]:0:0: class=0x030000 card=0x029b10de chip=0x00cd10de
> > >  rev=0xa2 hdr=0x00
> > >      vendor   = 'NVIDIA Corporation'
> > >      class    = display
> > >      subclass = VGA
> > >
> > >  I've tried an alternate version of the binary driver
> > >  (nvidia-driver-96xx) to see if there was any change, and it also
> > >  reboots on X startup.
> > >

> > >  --
> > >  Check your AGP settings and consult the readme, chapter 9, for the
> > > latest driver.  You should be running the latest driver with your card.
> > >
> > >  Make sure you have the correct AGP settings, either letting FreeBSD do
> > > it in the kernel or disable the kernel and let the Nvidia driver manage
> > > it.
> >
> > So, I'm not having terrific luck with any combination of settings I try.
> >
> > The latest FreeBSD driver release from Nvidia is the same as the
> > version in the ports tree. This is what I've installed.
> >
> > Attempting the AGPGART route (building the driver with
> > "WITH_FREEBSD_AGP=yes" and disabling NvAgp support in xorg.conf) still
> > results in a reboot.
> >
> > Going the NvAGP route (Building without support for AGPGART, setting
> > NvAgp to 1 in the xorg.conf, and setting hint.agp.0.disabled=1 in
> > /boot/device.hints) also results in a reboot when X starts. One thing
> > I notice here; when I specify hint.agp.0.disabled=1, and check the
> > output of 'kldstat -v' after booting, I still see several agp drivers
> > loaded:
> >
> > $ kldstat -v |grep -i agp
> >                 387 pci/agp_ali
> >                 388 pci/agp_amd
> >                 389 pci/agp_amd64
> >                 390 pci/agp_ati
> >                 391 pci/agp_i810
> >                 392 pci/agp_intel
> >                 393 pci/agp_nvidia
> >                 394 pci/agp_sis
> >                 395 pci/agp_via
> >
> > Is this a problem?
> >
> > I suspect a couple of problems with what I'm doing. Number one,
> > there's several knobs to turn (in the driver, in the OS, etc.) and
> > it's possible I'm not getting the correct combination. Other thing is,
> > I've been told by a technician that this is a PCI Express video card,
> > so would AGP even come into play?
>
> Probably not. I'm seeing the same thing on one machine, no AGP on MB, and agp
> kernel modules loaded, but nvidia-driver doesn't care about it.

COMPAT5X doesn't show up anywhere in /usr/src/; I do have 'options
COMPAT_FREEBSD5'  defined, though (stock SMP kernel).

> - Does running `nvidia-xconfig --query-gpu-info' reboot the system?
> - If you do not load the nvidia kernel module, but use Xorg's "nv" driver does
> this reboot the system?

No, doesn't reboot the system. Output attached below.

With the 'nv' driver, X starts fine. I don't use it because I don't
have success with the two output displays and xinerama window sizing.

nvidia-xconfig --query-gpu-info:

Number of GPUs: 1

GPU #0:
  Name      : Quadro FX 3450/4000 SDI