and put the kernel on that. Just use fdisk and bsdlabel to write the
boot blocks. As long as the kernel has all needed drivers and you
specify which root device to use (either via kernel configuration or
/etc/fstab), that should allow you to put everything else on the RAID
array. This is how I currently do full-disk encryption on my laptop
using GELI. Kernel is outside, everything else is encrypted, same idea
for RAID.

isn't making small 50MB partition for booting easier?

/dev/ad0d.eli           /                       ufs     rw,noatime      0
1
/dev/ad0a               /b                      ufs     ro,noatime      0
2

boot is symlink to /b/boot