On 24 Sep 2007, at 06:16, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

Gabriel,

Ignore Martin he doesen't know how to get it running
so he's pulling the old "spurning what he cannot do"
refer to the Aesop fable "Fox and the Grapes" for more
information.

If you run OS9 emulation under OSX you need AFP.

Many older print servers only speak AFP

AFP handles the split resource/data fork properly,
Samba does not.  You will see this in a number of
minor ways.

To get it running:

define NETATALK in kernel and recompile

cd /usr/ports/net/netatalk
make  WITH_SRVLOC=yes install

add the following in /etc/rc.conf:

slpd_enable="YES"
netatalk_enable="YES"
atalkd_enable="YES"
cnid_metad_enable="YES"
afpd_enable="YES"

cd /usr/ports/net/howl
make install

cd /etc
vi rc.conf
add in
mdnsresponder_enable="YES"
mdnsresponder_flags="-f /usr/local/etc/mDNSResponder.conf

then create the config file as such

vi /usr/local/etc/mDNSResponder.conf
BigMac _afpovertcp._tcp     local.  548
BigMac _ssh._tcp            Servers. 548

MUST BE TABS BETWEEN ITEMS and NEWLINE AT END!
BigMac is your servername

test with slptool findsrvs service:service-agent
and mDNSResponder lookups

your problem is that afpd only advertises over appletalk, not over
tcp/ip.  Since your Macs are all OSX they don't listen to appletalk
announcements.  They listen to appletalk-over-tcp/ip announcements
which use the rendezevous protocol which is what mdnsresponder is
all about.

One important note - try to keep the samba shares separate
from the appletalk shares.  Samba clients do not update the
desktop file when they move/change/delete files which will result in
a corrupted desktop file. (ie: CNID database) If that happens do this:

/usr/local/etc/rc.d/netatalk.sh stop

cat /usr/local/etc/AppleVolumes.default

(shares are listed at the bottom)

go to each share with the problem and rename the directory, ie:

cd /home/shares/Public
mv .AppleDB .AppleDB-temp-backup

restart netatalk

/usr/local/etc/rc.d/netatalk.sh start

verify people can mount the shares and get to their files

Delete the .AppleDB-temp-backup dirs.

Ted

PS:  Appletalk is older networking technology but there is
nothing wrong with it and it works no worse than newer
technologies.

Thank you so much for this comprehensive reply. I can see there are several things in there that I didn't get, as they were missed out in my other guides. Seems like a small nightmare setting up netatalk, hope it will be worth it!

Thanks again, I really appreciate it.

Gabe