At 05:22 PM 2/4/2003 -0500, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
At 07:48 AM 2/4/2003 -0800, you wrote:
On Tuesday 04 February 2003 07:00 am, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Some time ago I chose FreeBSD over all other *nix systems because I
> found the system better managed, easier to administrate, better
> supported and simpler to update and upgrade both the OS and the
> programs - especially through portupgrade.
> Several times I have encountered glitches in the update process; some
> I managed to figure out what the problem was, some other I just had
> to wait until the port was corrected then re-cvsup and portupgrade.
> This, on 2 similar FBSD v.4.7 installations.
>
> Currently I have encountered problems with updating KDE3 (because
> kdegames3 had some sort of problem - I don't have time for the games
> anyway, but this messes up the update - and the audio/arts program
> also had problems) and Openoffice 1.02.

I think you have something else that is wrong. For example, if you check
the cvs-repository, nothing has been modified on kdegames since it was
updated to version 3.1 6 days ago. About 18 hours ago, I cvsuped
ports-all, rebuilt INDEX like you are supposed to do after cvsuping,
and then ran

portupgrade -pufr qt

This rebuilt all of the ports that depend on qt-3.1.1_2 and pretty much
includes all of kde and arts.

What version are you trying to upgrade kde from? The older versions
basically require a package delete and fresh install. They also don't
work with XFree86-3.3.6. You have to use version 4.x.

If a port requires to much space, then you need to use the prebuilt
packages.

Kent
On further checking on the /audio/arts port, I found the following: When I try to update the port, a wrong version is indicated - the installed version is arts-1.0.4,1 and the portupgrade program is trying to updat to 3.1,1 (which doesn't exist).
On the ports site, there is no link to the sources - What is going on here?

BTW, I am using the latest version of XFree86 (4.2 or whatever, not the 3.6.6) and I regularly update - usually on Weekends. Usually, the problems I encounter are just the kind of thing I am experiencing now, there is no source listed for the arts program and the rest of the KDE3 port seems to be unaware of this .... :((

Now, what do I do? :((
PJ
I had problems upgrading my KDE to 3.1 myself. This is what I did to get it to work correctly. Well, it wasn't an upgrade using the instructions below - its actually a complete reinstall.

Unfortunately, doing a portupgrade on kde didn't work for me. BTW, I was going from KDE 3.0 to KDE 3.1. I had to in this order manually:

1) install kde3libs
2) install kdebase3
3) install kde3

I'm not sure if the instructions at http://freebsd.kde.org/instructions.shtml would have worked for me. I found this AFTER I got 3.1 to install :(

For some reason, doing the portupgrade for kde3 fails because it complains an option was selected to not install the KDE source. I also was missing /usr/local/include/ltdl.h which comes with libtool for some unknown reason. I had to goto into the ports directory for this port and run "make patch" and manually copy the ltdl.h file into /usr/local/include.

I /may/ have done some more manual steps after step 3. I can't remember honestly as I did this last week and didn't write down everything I did.

Sean O'Neill