There have been lots of different limits through the years.  The 32GB
limit was an Award bios thing.  You can read about them here:

http://www.dewassoc.com/kbase/hard_drives/hard_drive_size_barriers.htm

What the original poster needs to do is go and buy a used Promise
or other UDMA controller card, insert the card in his PC, turn off the
disk controller in BIOS, and use his 80GB disk.

Ted