<with apologies that I'm sending this to the Dell thread, but I seem to
have lost the initial message>

* David Rio <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2003-07-02 10:02]:
> On Thu, Feb 06, 2003 at 07:19:36PM -0500, stan wrote:
> > What machines should I be looking at? Assume that I have about $2k to
> > spend.

I've got a Gateway 450L, and it's working just fine for me. Pretty much
everything important seems to be supported (haven't tried FireWire or
Xinerama yet though, or the PCMCIA slots, and have no clue about the
onboard modem).  In March I should know about ACPI support for it in
5.x, but for now I'm running 4-STABLE it works quite well.  APM suspend
doesn't work properly, however (the machine doesn't come out of suspend
mode).  Internal NIC, sound card, USB, keyboard, and touchpad all work
nice, though.  And monitor/video card (there are some issues with 3D
acceleration, however).  All in all, it works about as well as I
expected out of anything.

HTH,
Mike