E. J. Cerejo wrote:

I found what the problem was under KDE, in your tutorial you tell us to
run these commands as a regular user:

compiz --replace --sm-disable --ignore-desktop-hints ccp
emerald --replace

I found that both of these commands need a & sign at the end of each of
these commands, which will look like this:

compiz --replace --sm-disable --ignore-desktop-hints ccp &
emerald --replace &

once you run them like this, KDE will stop acting weird and starts
functioning correctly.  Now when you restart kde it no longer starts
compiz automatically and you will get all the window borders and you are
able to save the settings using ccsm.

Which is not the case when running gnome.  Once you run these commands,
compiz will work normally just like in KDE but it won't let you save any
settings, another words if you run ccsm it won't let you select or
unselect any plugins.  Compiz command might be a little different for
gnome.
Gnome will also complain if you run these commands without
installing /usr/ports/x11-themes/ubuntulooks first, once you install this
it will stop complainning.  I will try to find out why I can't use ccsm
and if I find out I will let you know.
I don't know about KDE, but I am using compiz-fusion (manually) in gnome
without having installed ubuntulooks.
Thanks for your investigation and feedback. If you come up with a
complete set of settings, I will update the article.

The only way to fix gnome and get the settings to save was to delete the user and recreate it again. I found out what causes compiz to act weird like this is when you try to run compiz with different options than the ones you gave me. If that happens than you have to recreate the user account. Deleting the .config directory is not enough, don't know why. Do not forget to update your article by adding the "&" at the end of the compiz and emerald commands. If they get run without "&" sign at the end, compiz will start acting weird on you.

Thanks for your help, it's working very well now.
Thanks, I just updated the article, you may want to have a look at it again. Quick link here:

http://store.itsyourftp.com/~sonic2000gr/freebsd/compiz-fusion/article.html

I added the "&" and the script for GNOME.
I found out compiz-fusion saves setting in gconf, if you have it compiled with "gconf support" (like I did). My guess is if this is not selected, it will use the .compizconfig folder. I have not tested this though (but maybe will recompile just to see). It is quite possible that deleting the apps/compiz key in gconf will restore any weird behaviour, instead of actually recreating the user.