Mark Ovens wrote:
Chuck Robey wrote:
I saw a mail yesterday about something nearly like this, from nej, except with
him, the umass device wasn't reporting anything at all, no device when he
plugged it in.  I sent him a little piece of usb driver code that resets his usb
buss, just to experiment and see if that got his devices correctly detected, but
he didn't yet reply, I don't know if it worked for him.  I don't have something
like that to experiment with.

With yours, you obviously have a da2 ... that only means you have a
direct-access disk devide #2 being detected.  The next step is to figure oout
what kind of formatting you have.  Hopefully, it's been fdisk'ed to where it has
partitions, so do this (as root): "/sbin/fdisk /dev/da2", and in fdisk, give the
'p' command, this will print out the formatting for any partitions.  Likely it's
either one of the various Microsoft things, or a Linux one, or even a FreeBSD
one.  Depending on what you see, you either directly give a mount command next,
to the right partition, or maybe you use bsdlable to find out what the
disk-labelling is (if it's a FreeBSD disk).

Hi Chuck,

The next line in my post after where you snipped was:

(The disk is from another FreeBSD system so is UFS2 and da2s1f is /usr
on the other system)

It contains a running FBSD 7.0 system - it's out of a spare box I was using for testing and it mounts/reads/writes fine using the other USB enclosure I borrowed. There's just something screwy about the enclosure I've bought (typical eh?)

Forgot to add the output of fdisk.....

/home/mark{104}# /sbin/fdisk /dev/da2
******* Working on device /dev/da2 *******
parameters extracted from in-core disklabel are:
cylinders=4866 heads=255 sectors/track=63 (16065 blks/cyl)

Figures below won't work with BIOS for partitions not in cyl 1
parameters to be used for BIOS calculations are:
cylinders=4866 heads=255 sectors/track=63 (16065 blks/cyl)

Media sector size is 512
Warning: BIOS sector numbering starts with sector 1
Information from DOS bootblock is:
The data for partition 1 is:
sysid 165 (0xa5),(FreeBSD/NetBSD/386BSD)
    start 63, size 78172227 (38170 Meg), flag 80 (active)
        beg: cyl 0/ head 1/ sector 1;
        end: cyl 1023/ head 254/ sector 63
The data for partition 2 is:
<UNUSED>