Joshua Miner wrote:
I am having trouble installing the 5.0 release FreeBSD. I am installing
it to its own machine and I have completed the following steps. I do not
have a bootable CD Rom drive (though I do have a CD Rom burner), so I
have been planning to install from discs. So far I have:
1. Formatted two floppy discs.
2. Downloaded kern.flp and mfsroot.flp to my root c: drive (of a Windows
What kind of Windows (NT, 2000, 95?)
I seem to remember a good bit of trouble getting fdimage to work
on certain hardware under Windows NT (although it's been a while).
fdimage has a number of command line switches ... one of them
solved the problem. I seem to remember something about single-
sector writing or something (it's been a while)
Don't know if this is your problem or not, but report the OS that
you're creating the images from, and check out 'fdimage /?' (I
believe) will give you a list of switches and their meanings.
3. Downloaded fdimage to my root c: drive (of a Windows system)
4. Copied kern.flp from the Windows DOS emulator with the command:
fdimage kern.flp a:
5. Copied mfsroot.flp from the Windows DOS emulator with the command:
fdimage mfsroot.flp a:
6. I turned on the machine to which I will install the OS and ensured
that floppy disks were the primary boot mechanism in the setup menu.
7. When I restart the machine with the kern.flp or the mfsroot.flp in
the disk drive I get the message “Insert bootable media in the
To Unsubscribe: send mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
with "unsubscribe freebsd-questions" in the body of the message