I have a program that has run correctly since FreeBSD 3.7. However, when upgrading the server to 7.0 I am encountering issues where values just seem to arbirtrarily change. These values are all located in memory allocated by malloc. Malloc was significantly changed with 7.0 and reading through the malloc man page there are a number of flags that can be set with /etc/malloc.conf. The default for that file is to not exist. The man page does not indicate which settings are used in that situation. After reading through it I get the feeling that the default settings for D and M are 'dM'. Hence, to return to the older malloc aproach to see if the problems go away I would need to set "Dm". But some of the descriptions seem to indicate that might not be correct. What are the default settings?