Hi all,

I know this isn't exactly the right place for a sendmail question, but it has to do with the system configuration, and I'm trying to find some help to create a relatively simple solution (I think)...

ok, here is what I want to do, which I have done in the past, but now it doesn't seem to be working...

I simply want any submitted email using sendmail to be relayed to another mta for distribution. I want this to happen both from submitted mail from the command line, and from any queues, if the mail is submitted to the running daemon.

I use FreeBSD 7.0, and all of the configuration is in /etc/mail/. From what I understand, if I simply set the DS variable to a hostname, it is supposed to use that as the smart relay host, but it is not working. For some reason, it is ignoring that hostname, and attempting to contact the MX record host for the domain name of the machine, which is really weird.

So, I tried setting the DS and the MTAHost variables to the IP of the machine I want it to go to, and that seems to work, but oddly enough, sendmail replaces the Rcpt To: variable with my current logged in [EMAIL PROTECTED] host instead of the address that I gave on the command line to send the mail to...

So, for instance, I would do a command like this :

/usr/sbin/sendmail -v [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject:test from command line

test

.
tt... Connecting to [209.132.x.xx] via relay...
220 relayhost.scaledsystems.com ESMTP
>>> EHLO script5.scaledsystems.com
250-scriptmail.scaledsystems.com
250-PIPELINING
250 8BITMIME
>>> MAIL From:<>
250 ok
>>> RCPT To:<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>>> DATA
250 ok
354 go ahead
>>> .
250 ok 1217444220 qp 69963
tt... Sent (ok 1217444220 qp 69963)
Closing connection to [209.132.x.xx]
>>> QUIT
221 relayhost.scaledsystems.com

I've checked DNS, etc...but I find it strange that it replaces the RCPT To to be my local user...

Is this a bounce or something??? Is it bouncing the message based on some sort of new relaying rules or something?

Cause I haven't seen this on older FreeBSD hosts...

the version of sendmail is 8.14.2

Thanks,

Tim.