I operate a server on which I am typically the only ssh user, but I do provide a small number of users ftp access.

Each user has their own home directory. Currently all home directories have read permission set for 'other'. This means if I log in as one user, I can read and even download the contents of other users home directories.

I want to block this read access. What is the best way to do this? Turn off the read bit for 'other'? Or is there some better way?

Thanks: John