Yeah, I have been considering to get serial cable/cradle for a little bit, I did even more research on the web, seems like people are having widely different experience in doing this. Some reported to be able to sync successfully, at least the guy who wrote the guide at www.geekhome.net/palm.html. I actually even set it to 1200bps, hehe, cause my hunch told me jpilot and the palm unit are actually talking at different speed so I tried to lower the speed as much as possible, I don't care if it's a bit slow as long as it works, alas, that didn't work.

Anyways, glad to know I'm not alone :)

From: Jason Hunt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Lin Jianfong <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
CC: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Problem syncing palm m125 w/ jpilot and pilot-xfer
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2003 13:40:28 -0500

On Sun, Feb 16, 2003 at 02:33:08PM -0800, Lin Jianfong wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just bought a Palm m125 model recently and tried to sync it via the USB
> cradle/cable on my fbsd 4.7R box. I got the process going all up to the
> point when trying to backup and sync using jpilot and pilot-xfer.
>
> The problems :
> - For some reason, jpilot is having trouble reading AddressDB, ToDoDB and
> MemoDB off my palm. It can read DateBookDB no problem. If I tried syncing,
> the process will go thru and jpilot will sync only DateBook's but not the
> other 3 apps' database. Same thing when doing backup. I set both jpilot and
> palm to communicate at 9600bps.
>
> - For pilot-xfer, pretty much the same problem, when I tried doing "%
> pilot-xfer -p /dev/pilot -b $HOME/palm_backup", the process will go thru,
> it reported succeeded in reading the RAM from Palm, and Palm itself
> reported success in synchronizing but...afterwards, $HOME/palm_backup is
> still EMPTY. pilot-xfer just didn't bother to report any error.

To make a long story short, you're better off getting a serial
cable/cradle for now. USB does not work with pilot-link in FreeBSD.
My problem sounds similar to yours. It would only see one DB on the
Palm and then finish the hoysynch. When I did pilot-xfer -l it would
only list one of my applications DBs and then say it finished
sucessfully. Using pilot-link with jpilot and a serial cable (or a
cradle) works great, although I can't seem to make it go any 9600bps, or
maybe I'm impatient :)

Hope this helps.