Matthew Seaman wrote:
On Wed, Feb 19, 2003 at 04:12:56PM +0100, Heinrich Rebehn wrote:

Andreas Widerĝe Andersen wrote:

At 15:53 19.02.2003 +0100, you wrote:

I hope this isn't a FAQ - i have been using FreeBSD for some years now.
My question: Where can i find a log of all the startup messages that flash by so fast that i can't read them? Not the kernel messages, but daemons that fail to start and such.

Type: dmesg or do a # more /var/log/messages

This only gives me the kernel messages, but not the messages from the daemons (i.e. sendmail failed and stuff like that)

Edit /etc/syslog.conf and uncomment the console.info line so that is
looks like this:

    # uncomment this to log all writes to /dev/console to /var/log/console.log
    console.info                                    /var/log/console.log

Then:

    # touch /var/log/console.log
    # chmod 600 /var/log/console.log
    # chown root:wheel /var/log/console/log
    # kill -HUP `cat /var/run/syslogd.pid`

This will record all of the console output from syslog or the kernel,
as well as the boot messages you are interested in, the next time you
reboot.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

Thanks, Matthew

this really did the trick. One is never finished learning.. :-)