On Thu, Oct 09, 2008 at 05:11:13PM +0200, Zbigniew Szalbot wrote:

But the discussion that followed made me realize that uptime is not
everything. I also love to see huge uptimes on my servers but if
anything this discussion brought it home to me that more than anything
I need to take care of security updates which I do.

Yes, uptime isn't everything. But when security notices are published
its important to read the notice and question whether it immediately
applies to your situation.

In my case a kernel flaw which allows an otherwise valid user to elevate
authority is not terribly important on my 2 year machine. Something
which allows an unauthorized user into the machine is important. OTOH
while my kernel has been running 2 years I have wiped ports completely
several times and reinstalled. IIRC it takes 3 or 4 days to build X11
and KDE last time I tired. No longer has X11 or KDE.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, [EMAIL PROTECTED]