On Oct 21, 2008, at 3:44 AM, Matthew Seaman wrote:

John Almberg wrote:

I do know that Mysql supports SSL... somehow this got discounted early in the discussion, perhaps mistakenly?

I believe the thinking was that although MySQL claims to support SSL,
it does in fact make a pretty bodge of it, and a more effective approach is to pipe MySQL traffic through an encrypted tunnel.

Personally I just use IPSec for this, but people might also like to
consider stunnel (http://www.stunnel.org/) or OpenVPN (http:// openvpn.net/)

Stunnel and OpenVPN are on my list, in case autossh has unexpected problems, but I figured I'd try the simplest approach first.

Other than figuring out what holes to poke in the firewalls, autossh was pretty simple to set up.

Now I just need to figure out how to start it on reboot, but that is something I've been meaning to learn, anyway, so I don't mind.

I appreciate your help.

-- John